Stranger Things Limited Edition Lit-Cube box March/April 2017

The Limited Edition Stranger Things Lit-Cube box went on sale sometime in February. This was a one time only box. These boxes (the limited edition boxes) are slightly more expensive than the normal boxes (roughly ten dollars more expensive) and no two themes have been alike so far. Sometimes they are book related, other times, like this time, the theme of the box was related to a show. The limited edition boxes come out maybe two to three times a year.

That being said, I have never ordered any of the limited edition boxes before, preferring instead to just stick with the normal subscription boxes. In February, however, I was feeling optimistic and thought "why not?" Keep in mind that while I have heard good things about the show, life is crazy and I haven't even had a chance to watch a trailer for Stranger Things, much less actually sit down and watch an episode. The main thing I heard about the show was that it was great for 80's nostalgia. Seeing as how I've been getting out all my old toys from the 1980's for the little one to play with and have been hit with a wave of 80's nostalgia myself, I was interested in seeing what might be included.

Now, the boxes were a few days late going out due to the sale a few weeks ago and the shop getting a bit backlogged, but that's not really a huge deal, particularly when shipping was already going to fall right before the weekend. Either way it would have gotten here at roughly the same time. The site was great about letting people know what was going on, so there were no real surprises in that regard. Up front communication is one thing that I truly appreciate with Lit-Cube - especially after trying to get information from other companies where it's like pulling teeth! That being said - this box is no longer available for purchase.

With all that being said - on to the box!


If you're one of those people who prefers to have the fancy box, you'd be disappointed in this box. The box is a plain black box, most likely due to the need to order additional boxes as a result of an oversized item, something that happens occasionally. Me personally? It could be a boring brown box and I would be okay with it. All the boxes go to the same place for me - cardboard recycling.
Normally damage during transport doesn't happen but this time it did. There's a tear in the top black coating of the box. Nothing inside was damaged and the box did exactly what it was supposed to do - protect the contents. USPS is usually better than this, but it does happen, and it is not the fault of Lit Cube, so don't blame them (or any other subscription box company) when this happens. 99% of them will offer to fix/ replace any items if they get damaged in transit, so just contact them, but if you do, don't be a jerk about it - remember, not their fault! (This has been a PSA!) Off my soapbox and back to the actual box!




The info card was right on top, which is always nice to see. It gives you an idea of what to expect, which I like. I'm not a fan when the box places it on the very bottom, underneath everything, which does happen sometimes. 

And on the back you get to see what's in the box, along with the approximate value of each item.


 The first item in the box was a graphic novel - Mind the Gap: Volume 1: Intimate Strangers by Jim McCann. The info card lists the value at $9.99. Amazon has it available for $6.40 plus shipping, or free shipping if you have Amazon Prime. I haven't heard of this graphic novel series before, or this author, but I really appreciate it that it's the first one in the series. I hate it when subscription boxes send a book in a series and it's not the first one. This sounds pretty interesting if I do say so myself, and I do!

Blurb from Amazon:
Elle Peterssen is young, wealthy, and beautiful - and there is a reason someone tried to kill her! Only, Elle doesn't remember any of this. Mind the Gap, the new series by the Eisner Award-winning writer Jim McCann, is a mystery with a paranormal twist. Elle, in a spirit form detached from her comatose body, must not only unravel the mystery of her attacker's identity and motive, but her entire life as well. Who can she trust, in both this world and the gap she exists in that lies between life and death? Deceit, secrets, and hidden agendas are everywhere in a story where everyone is a suspect, and no one is innocent. 


Next up is a Honey Stinger brand Gluten Free Organic Cinnamon Waffle cookie. This wasn't listed on the info card, but sells for between $1.27 and $1.50 online. 


I'm not one for gluten free anything, but I was hungry earlier and it was on my desk. This was surprisingly delicious! It tastes like a cookie version of cinnamon toast crunch. I would definitely eat more of these if they were available. I've never heard of the brand before, but apparently it's been around for years!



Next up was a pair of athletic socks. The kind you don't see anymore, with stripes! I'm sure the 011 has some kind of reference in the show, but as I mentioned, I haven't seen it yet, so as it is, these were just some pretty neat socks. The info card lists them at a $9.99 value, but you can get striped athletic socks without the numbers in a three pack for $6.99, so I think the cost listed is a bit high here as well.


There was no sizing option available for the socks with the box, so these are way too big for me. My partner got a kick out of seeing socks like this again, however, and he snagged them. He wears a size 11 shoe if that's any indication as to approximate size. 


Up next was a pencil holder referencing the high school in the show.  This too is listed at a $9.99 value. These same canvas pouches, without the design are selling for $3.50 on Etsy, so to add in the screening and labor costs, I can see $9.99 being close to accurate. This is a really high quality pencil pouch and the canvas is decently thick. 



 Next in the box was a Stranger Things travel mug. Using the same font as the title of the show, it says "Mornings are for coffee and contemplation." It has a listed value of $14.99. It seems well made. I am neither a coffee person or a morning person, so this was a miss for me. 

The final thing in the box was a Stranger Things ringer tee. The value on the card is listed at $24.99, which again seems a bit high. Now, normally I size up on shirts as, since about November of last year, I found that most subscription boxes were not sending out preshrunk t-shirts. After washing, if I did not size up, they would slowly become too small. Lit-Cube recently changed their t-shirt ordering however. Now, sizing up is way too up. This "large" shirt is the equivalent to a men's extra large. Way too big for me. I wear medium as a general rule, so if I were to wear this one, it would engulf me. I didn't even try it on so huge it was when I held it up. Still, the design is pretty, and it would have been nice if it had fit, but these things happen. 


All in all, this was a pretty neat box, and I'm sure it would be amazing if it was for my fandom. Unfortunately, as I have no frame of reference for the show, this box was a real miss for me. I'm glad I tried a limited edition box, but next time I will be sure to stick with only fandoms that I am familiar with, as it's rather disappointing for me to have the highlights of the box be a graphic novel and a cookie. Still - if you think of it like a grab bag, it was worth the shot!

If this is your fandom, you're in luck. Stick around toward the end of the weekend or Monday for a special treat!