March 2017 Bookcase.club Thrill Seekers Box

This month's Thrill Seekers Bookcase.club box looks so much better than last month's!

I get two Bookcase.club boxes. This review is for the Thrill Seekers box, which consists of "two handpicked mystery/thriller novels delivered to your door every month."

The box is $9.99 and shipping is $5 to TN.

That comes out to ~$7.50 per book, which is not bad at all. I'm primarily using these boxes to try to expand my reading interests, though I'd have to say that I'm at about 50/50 in terms of the books received. (In other words, half are keepers). Even at those odds, the total price of the box is still cheaper than the purchase of one of the books individually, so I'm quite pleased with it thus far. The way that I do these reviews is I put up the information on the box, then get around to reading the books in the TBR pile, and then put up a review of each of the books individually, both here and on several other sites - Good Reads, Amazon, etc.

So - let's start with the box!


As always, the packaging was lovely. The box is appropriate to the size of the books being sent out. I've never had one show up damaged. 


As always, you get two hardcover books and a bookmark. The books this month are As Night Falls by Jenny Milchman and The Perfect Witness by Iris Johansen. 


Now, I say this box looks better than last month's because the books last month didn't strike me as very mysterious - more general fiction. After reading - I feel as though that assessment was largely correct. This month - straight off the bat, I know that these will fit the genre category. I've not read Iris Johansen before, but I know she's a mystery writer, and, well, to judge a book by its cover, the Milchman book looks like it will be mystery as well. 

Here's the excerpts:

The Perfect Witness:

From Google books: 
"She had the perfect life. She had the perfect cover. She was the perfect witness. Until they found her. 
From the blockbuster bestselling author of the Eve Duncan novels comes a new, stand along thriller about a woman with a photographic memory who has lived her life in the Witness Protection Program. What she once saw put her entire family in jeopardy and now, years later, her cover is blown. She's on the run, and the lives of those she holds dear hang in the balance. As only Iris Johansen can do, the pages turn themselves and you won't see the twists coming."

This sounds like cheese, wonderful mystery cheese. If you don't think it sounds cheesy, read it to yourself in the Moviefone guy's voice and then tell me it's not cheesy sounding. (And if you don't know who that is, you're young. Google it.). This is more along the lines of what I was expecting when I signed up for this box!  I also love the fact that it's a stand alone novel. It irked me a lot last month when they sent out book 2 with no book 1 in sight.


As Night Falls:

From Google books:
"Sandy Tremont has always tried to give her family everything. But, as the sky darkens over the Adirondacks and a heavy snowfall looms, an escaped murderer with the power to take it all away draws close.  
In her isolated home in the shadowy woods, Sandy prepares dinner after a fight with her daughter, Ivy. Upstairs, the fifteen year old - smart, brave, and with every reason to be angry tonight - keeps her distance from her mother. Sandy's husband, Ben, a wilderness guide, arrives later to find a home simmering with unease. 
Nearby, two desperate men on the run make their way through the fading light, bloodstained and determined to leave no loose ends or witnesses. After almost twenty years as prison cellmates, they have become a deadly team: Harlan the muscle, Nick the mind and will. As they approach a secluded house and look through its windows to see a cozy domestic scene, Nick knows that here he will find what he's looking for...before he disappears forever. 
Opening the door to the Tremont home, Nick brings not only a legacy of terror, but a secret that threatens to drag Sandy with him into the darkness."

I would whoop at this if I thought you could hear me. Imagine someone whooping. Doesn't this just sound great/hilarious/cheesy/terrible/wonderful? Have you ever read a book that was so bad it was good? This blurb sounds like this will be one of those books. I have a special fondness for the book equivalent of a B movie. And this sounds like the book equivalent of Tremors. You know, minus the killer underground worms and all that jazz. 

All in all - Super pleased with this box, and I can't wait to get started reading these!