It's been awhile - things got crazy. More Movie Reviews

The Intern:
This was a really sweet movie. Robert DeNiro is great, as is Anne Hathaway. It's your basic drama, and while it didn't end like I thought it should have, it was definitely worth watching. DeNiro's character retired and was going stir crazy, so he decides to apply for a senior internship program. Hathaway is the company owner, and she's loosing her mind. She tries to do everything herself and it's gotten too big for that. His experience in the business world comes in quite handy, and they become friends. Basically, all I could think watching this movie was - if companies even had one guy like DeNiro's character working for them, the business world wouldn't be nearly as ridiculous as it is. It was a pleasant way to spend an evening. 

The Hurt Locker:
I enjoyed this movie. I had never seen of it or heard of it until my sweetie and I saw a trailer on one of the old movies that we were just now getting around to watching. He, who hates war movies, insisted that it was incredible and that we must get it. I, who love war movies, could not believe that I had missed one. It's not your typical war movie. It switches emotions seamlessly, going from funny to relaxed, to edge of your seat oh my goodness what's going to happen next? While, again, the ending was not what I expected it to be, it was definitely something I'm glad that I watched, and it's a definite keeper. For those of you who get teary-eyed at war movies (like We Were Soldiers, or Flags of Our Fathers, etc.), this is not a tear jerker. This doesn't make it any less good for all that.

The Magnificent Seven:
Now, I love a good Western. And Denzel Washington is an amazing actor, and oh so handsome. I will pretty much watch anything he's in. Then you have Chris Pratt and Ethan Hawke and a bunch of other people (you know, where you point at the screen and go "Ooooh, I know that guy. What was he in?!"). Chris Pratt, I'll watch any movie with him in it too - though I refuse to watch Parks and Recreation - too many of the voices are grating. Ethan Hawke, well, his movies are hit or miss for me, but he's still a stellar actor - he gets far less credit than he deserves. Now, The Magnificent Seven is a remake, and I had high, high hopes for it. The main actors delivered. Their manner, demeanor, and easy movements made them feel as though they were very comfortable in the roles. They sat their horses like they had been riding all their lives. The extras, however...you could tell some of them had never been on a horse before. That part was disappointing. Aside from this and a few other minor complaints I had at the time I watched it, though are now gone this amount of time later, it was good. It wasn't, perhaps, as good as the original, but the differences were okay. I enjoyed this one.



The Artist:
This is a silent movie. Yup, a silent movie, you read that right. It's very well done. It's also a relatively recent movie; it came out in 2011. They did it justice. I didn't feel like I was watching a parody, or a poorly done attempt at a silent movie. It had the class and glamour of old Hollywood. Something most definitely missing from movies today. No one else in the house appreciated it, but I'm also the only one who likes old movies. I swear, if it's black and white and not technicolor, everyone else is going to shun it like the plague. If you appreciate old movies, don't forget to check this one out. It's about the transition from silent movies to talkies. 


Alice Through The Looking Glass:
I'm not a die hard Lewis Carroll fan, but I'm not not a fan, either. I enjoyed the animated Disney Alice and Wonderland, and I did not like the live action recreation. This is the sequel to that one. I liked the actors they got to play in the movie, but I thought the manner in which it was done was lacking. It was fanciful, sure, and it was nonsensical, most definitely, but it was not Alice. It was not Wonderland. Underland is not the same thing, and while they took parts from the book Through the Looking Glass, it's not what I would have expected. The littlest one enjoys the fanciful nature of the film, so we kept it, even though, if it was just up to me, we would not. This one was a miss for me.


Batman v. Superman Dawn of Justice
There are not enough words to begin to describe the terribleness that was this movie. That's not how the Doomsday fight went, the Justice League was already in place years before the Doomsday fight, and that's not the story. I raged against this movie so very hard. Terrible. Now - the actors were great, and they did their best with what was given to them, but I would not have cast Jeremy Irons as Alfred, and the guy playing Superman, he doesn't have a Superman feel to him for me, but holy moly, did they botch the story to kingdom come and back. If you haven't read The Death and Life of Superman  by Roger Stern, and if you haven't read the comics, and if you don't know the story of the start of the Justice League or the Doomsday storyline, I'm sure you could potentially get away with thinking this was an okay summer movie. For fans though - this was a travesty wrapped in a train wreck, wrapped in a giant pile of poop.


Non-Stop:
It's Liam Neeson doing something that's been done in so many other movies before! Someone's hijacking a plane. I will save the day! Blech. What happened to people having new and original ideas for movies? This was not worth the time spent.